Thursday, July 12, 2012

Temples

I saw this on Facebook today from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

The temples in Kansas City and St. Louis have blessed thousands of members in Missouri and surrounding states. How have these temples blessed you?

I felt like I was directly being asked that question.  Because this has been on my mind lately.

How have these temples blessed me?

Well, for starters, we visit the St. Louis Temple whenever we get a chance.  It's a home away from home.  I remember a particular visit when I was so stressed with something . . . OK I'll tell you what it was.

When Sammy was about 17 months (March 2010) we had found a lump in his leg and we were freaked out! I thought he had cancer - but he acted so healthy, it just didn't make sense.  The short version is this, we saw a handful of Doctors until we found the right one who helped us by referring us to kindest radiologist. We had an ultrasound test done on his bump and it didn't look like cancer, WHEW!  What a relief, but we didn't know what it was so he sent us on our way. 
We were about 10 steps from our car when this amazing, kind man ran out of the radiology building to stop us.  He said, come back inside lets see if his lymph nodes are swollen, too.  So we did and they were. Which meant Sammy had probably been bitten by something (a spider?) and his body was just fighting it off.  The bump (the site of the bite) is still there but the swelling in the lymph nodes is gone - it took 6 months plus for the swelling to go down, which is normal by the way.  He will probably always have the original bump, scar tissue.
 When this was going on we visited the St. Louis Temple and when I was there I felt the weight of the world being lifted from me.  I just sat and allowed myself to absorb the peace that surrounded me. I needed that. I feel peaceful just remembering that.

But more recently my thoughts have been turned to the Kansas City Temple.

Two weeks before our babies were born (it's nice to say "babies" by the way, I haven't really done that a lot - I'm still unsure how I'll handle that), anyway, about two weeks before the babies came we had the amazing opportunity to tour the Kansas City Temple.  

Temples are important to our family. They are a reminder that if we are worthy, our family will be reunited after we die.
When we took this picture of our little family in front of the Kansas City Temple, I had no idea at the time how special this photograph would be to me.  I wish now I hadn't hidden my belly behind my kids, like we pregnant ladies sometimes try to do. . . some of you know what I'm talking about.  =) 

Hard to believe I was carrying twins.  

 Emma's name is "Emma Grace."  Emma means "whole, complete" and Grace means "God's love."
And one day because of Temples and because of God's love, our family can be complete, whole.

You can learn more about Latter-day Saint Temples here.

4 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading these posts. Not because they're necessarily happy posts, but because they help us all to keep the proper perspective and to remember that Heavenly Father's hands are in everything. Thank you for sharing your story with us Tracie. My heart aches for you, and yet, I know that you are helping us all to grow through this experience too, so I'm also thankful for you@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen. So much happened I wasn't sure how to process everything, but I knew I didn't want to forget it, so I decided to blog. And no, they are not all happy posts, yet, maybe one day they will be. But I am loving the support I feel from everyone reading what I have to say. Thank you for your kind comment, I hope you keep reading.

      Delete
  2. Traci, you are so amazing, and I have loved following this blog. Now here is one way to look at it. You didn't know you had a second baby, right? So you might say she is a bonus. She is like "one in the bank." She is the bonus you did not know you would have, but now you know and one day you will get to raise her, and how cool will that be? It is hard not to feel sadness, but at the same time, there is reason for rejoicing. I had two placentas with one of my babies, so I am assuming a twin started to develop but just didn't make it. I don't think that is a child I will get to raise. So you are ahead of the game. :) You have a beautiful family. I know you are so thankful for them, and you can be just as thankful for the angel baby who perhaps is watching over her siblings. Sometimes I wish my kids had someone like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I think she (Ella) is a bonus! It is really cool to think we will have her one day. And of course, sometimes I do feel sad - especially when I wonder if she suffered, but it doesn't last very long because Emma is SUCH a comfort! She is so sweet and such an easy baby, I just have to hold her and I can't feel sad. Thanks for reading my story, my amazing friend!

      Delete